[M-install-zatudan] both sides of the water. A voice

Back to archive index

Gossow arcti****@gcsco*****
2010年 3月 23日 (火) 00:25:22 JST

-mannered jest?"
My lord merely said to his head miscreant, coolly: "Put up the slaves

and sell them!" _Slaves!_ The word had a new sound--and how unspeakably
awful! The king lifted his manacles and brought them down
with a deadly force; but my lord was out of the way when they arrived. A dozen of the rascal's servants sprang forward, and in a moment we were helpless, with our hands bound behind us. We so loudly
and so earnestly proclaimed ourselves freemen,
that we got the interested attention of that liberty-mouthing orator and his patriotic crowd, and they gathered about us and assumed a very determined attitude. The orator said: "If, indeed, ye are freemen,
ye have nought to fear--the God-given liberties of Britain are about ye
for your shield and shelter! (Applause.) Ye shall soon see.
Bring forth your proofs." "What proofs?" "Proof that ye are freemen." Ah--I remembered! I came to myself; I said nothing. But the king stormed out: "Thou'rt insane, man. It were better, and more in
reason, that this thief and scoundrel

here prove that we are _not_ freemen." You see, he knew his own laws just as other people so often

know the laws; by words, not by effects. They take a _meaning_, and get to be very vivid, when you come to apply them to yourself.