[macemacsjp-english 775] Problem typing C-M-f using caps lock key but C-M-b works fine

Back to archive index

peter mclain peter****@gmail*****
Mon Dec 18 09:19:50 JST 2006

  Carbon Emacs does not recognize C-M-f when using the caps-lock as a
control key, but works fine if I use the ctrl key.  I'm using GNU Emacs
22.0.90.1 on a PowerBook G4.

  C-M-b, C-f, C-b, C-M-up etc. all work fine using either the ctrl
key or the caps-lock key.  The problem seems to be only with using the
caps-lock key and C-M-f.

  I've mapped the caps-lock key to be an additional control key, via
the OS X System Preferences (System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse ->
Modifier Keys).  I'm also using the  alt / option key as my meta key.

I get the buggy behavior with the following, minimal .emacs.el file:

  (setq
   ;; Setup so that the alt/option key is interpreted by Carbon Emacs
   ;; to be the Meta key.
   mac-pass-option-to-system nil
   mac-option-modifier       'meta)

  describe-bindings lists C-M-f as bound to forward-sexp.  describe-key
doesn't react when I type <caps-lock>-M-f, it just sits there like I
haven't entered anything.  But describe-key does the right thing if I type
<ctrl>-M-f or <caps-lock>-M-b.

  view-lossage doesn't record any instances of <caps-lock>-M-f, but
shows <ctrl>-M-f and <caps-lock>-M-b etc. just fine.

  Thanks for any insight,

Peter