[Mingw-users] Support for std::thread in libstdc++

Back to archive index
Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Wed Mar 13 00:41:03 JST 2019

> From: Keith Marshall <keith****@users*****>
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 09:37:10 +0000
>
> On 12/03/19 03:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Does anyone know what is the status of std::thread support in MinGW
> > libstdc++?  Is it workable?
>
> I believe that the official line, from upstream GCC, is that it is
> unsupported, but you'll really need to confirm that with them.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Does anyone know what happens if a program is compiled that uses this
class?  Will it fail to compile, or abort at run time, or something
else?

> > I'm asking because GDB developers are considering using that for
> > speeding up some symbol-table reading operations, and I've heard in
> > the past that std::thread doesn't work in MinGW.
>
> My understanding is that it will not work with the windows thread model,
> (which is what current MinGW-GCC is built to deploy.  It may be possible
> to get it to work, if the compiler is built for the POSIX thread model,
> but we don't do that ATM, and I'm not certain if it would be reliable if
> we were to change that policy.

I'm told that that Jonathan Wakely once wrote a port for Win32 API,
but couldn't find anyone to help him test it.  Maybe there's a way to
find the patches and incorporate them into the MinGW GCC build?