[tomoyo-dev-en 84] Re: Access Logs

Back to archive index

Jamie Nguyen dysco****@gmail*****
Sat Jan 15 20:06:56 JST 2011

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Do we want tags/htdocs/1.8/1st-step/ ?
> Maybe tutorial-\$.html is useful than 1st-step/ .

I did not notice this 1st-step directory until you mentioned. The
really useful part of 1st-step is the installation steps, which are
different depending on package manager etc. The instructions simply
differ depending on whether it is rpm or apt, so these could be
inserted into 1.8/phase-1.html . Also information on how to set up
audit logs is different per distribution, so these could be integrated
into step 2.5 of 1.8/phase-2.html . The other sections in 1st-step are
just duplication of information. I think it is better to centralize
into 1.8/phase-\$.html .

I like the tutorial-\$.html pages and they are an excellent resource
(with nice artwork!). They are very long though. When I first started
using TOMOYO, I used only the "short" guide, and referred to the
policy specification and the policy editor instructions when needed.
In my eyes, the "short" guide is the best one to use when first
getting started for most users, while the "long" guide is useful for
developing understanding and improving usage once the "short" guide
has been mastered.

I think what I plan to do is integrate some of the things from the
"long" guide into the "short" guide (without making it too long),
including some of the artwork. I will also proof-read the "long" guide
and try to shorten it a bit. Eventually I will also get around to
improving the policy specification and policy editor instructions.
Eventually, it might be more effective to remove duplicated
information in the "long" guide (installation etc.) and link to
sections there from the "short" guide for users wanting more
information or more detailed explanations.

Then I will repeat all the above for 2.3 docs. If only there were more
hours in each day!